Welcome to the GREEN NANOMATERIALS book
Copyright © Siddharth V. Patwardhan and Sarah S. Staniland 2020
Online ISBN: 978-0-7503-1221-9 • Print ISBN: 978-0-7503-1222-6
Click here to visit the publisher’s website for more information.
Purchase the book from Amazon.
The scientific community has been happy to have some process for the large-scale manufacturing of desired nanomaterials, while little or no attention was given to the sustainability of these processes. This needs to change and the time is ripe to focus on the environmental impact of nanomaterials production. This change in thinking is very important!
In this book, the aim is to address the highly sought aspect of how to translate the understanding of biominerals into new green manufacturing methods. We cover aspects from the discovery of new green synthesis methods all the way to considering their commercial manufacturing routes.
What is in the book?
- The book starts by introducing the principles of green chemistry and engineering (Chapter 1).
- It then highlights the special properties that nanomaterials possess, their applications and ways to characterise them (Chapters 2-3).
- It describes conventional methods of synthesising and manufacturing inorganic nanomaterials (Chapter 4)
- It highlights that these techniques cannot always deliver the specifications required for applications or be sustainable (Chapter 5).
- This will lead to the introduction of biological and biomimetic/bioinspired synthetic methods as a solution to precisely controlled nanomaterials as well as design sustainable manufacturing routes (Chapters 6-7).
- It will cover two case studies of magnetic and silica materials for advanced readers (Chapters 8-9).